Figure 1 - Toy Box
- Table saw
- Drill/driver with bits
- Router, (optional)
- Combination square
- Tape measure
- Safety glasses
- Dust mask
- Six 2x4x96" boards
- Two #2 1x6x96″boards
- One #3 1x12x96″board
- Five 1/2×48″dowel rods
- One 3/8×24″dowel rod
- Two hinges
- One friction lid support
- 2″wood screws
- 8d finish nails
- Carpenter's glue
- A: 5 – 2x4x40″ Rails for front frame, back frame and top rail for backrest.
- B: 1 – 2x4x35″ Cross rail for backrest.
- C: 4 – 2x4x14″ Rails for side frames.
- D: 8 – 2x4x13″ Stiles for front, back and side frames.
- E: 2 – 2x4x29″ Stiles for backrest.
- F: 2 – 33 3/4×11 3/4″ Lauan for front and back panels.
- G: 2 – 7 3/4×11 3/4″ Lauan for side panels.
- H: 2 – 40″ Pieces of #3 1×12 for floor panel.
- I: 4 – 42″ Pieces of #2 1×6 for lid.
- J: 1 – 2x4x38″ Support rail for lid.
Prepare the Lid and Floor:
- Edge glue and clamp three of the #2 1x6x42″ pieces (I) together for the lid. Use dowels in the edges of the boards to strengthen the joints, as shown in Figure 2.
- Edge glue and clamp the #3 1x12x40″ pieces (H) together for the floor. Use dowels in the edges of the boards to strengthen the joints.
Note: Biscuits can be used in place of dowels.
Build the Box:
- Cut blind, 1″ long by 1/2″ thick tenons in both ends of each front, back and side frame stiles (D) and both ends of the backrest cross rail (B), as shown in Figure 3.
- Cut blind, 1″ long by 1/2″ thick tenons in one end of each backrest stile (E).